Navigation auf


Global Student Experience

Self-Organization of an Exchange Stay

If your preferred university is not one of our exchange partners, you have the option of organizing your own period of study abroad. You will generally be able to obtain information about admission requirements and tuition fees for foreign students from the Admissions Office of the relevant university. You should discuss any issues regarding the transfer of credits with your academic advisor or the dean's office before your departure.

Matriculation and Semester Fees

To transfer credits earned abroad, you must remain enrolled as a regular student at the University of Zurich. If you are required to pay semester fees at the host university as well, you can request a refund at the Student Administration Office. Please follow the instructions in the Refund Information Sheet (PDF, 88 KB)

Useful Information

In the following section you will find information and advice on how to organize your period of study abroad: 

Information on studying abroad

On the swissuniversities website, you will find useful information, including how to obtain a scholarship for a study period abroad.


The PLOTEUS portal run by the EU provides information on educational and learning opportunities in Europe:

  PLOTEUS Portal of the EU

You can generally find the latest information and links on studying in your favored destination on the website hosted by that country’s Embassy.

You will find an overview of foreign representations in Switzerland on the website of the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA):

  Overview of Foreign Representations

Weiterführende Informationen

Government Scholarships for Swiss Students to Study Abroad

On behalf of the Swiss government swissuniversities manages scholarships from over 30 foreign governments which are available to Swiss students interested in studying abroad. You can find an overview of the foreign government scholarships as well as some information about the application process here: swissuniversities.

Sharing your Experiences

Global Student Experience has a list of students who have organized their stay abroad themselves, providing them with the opportunity to network.

Please report to us if you are embarking on a period of self-organized study at a university abroad: