Navigation auf


Global Student Experience

Organizational Matters

Before your Exchange

Learning Agreement

Before leaving for your exchange, you are obliged to draw up a learning agreement with your departmental coordinator. This serves to clarify which credits earned abroad will count towards your degree in Zurich. Some faculties require a credit-transfer agreement. Please ask your departmental coordinator about this and consult the respective faculty website. 

You need to create the Learning Agreement directly in Mobility Online. Please log in to Mobility Online with your login data and go to the corresponding step in the pipeline. There you will also find an information sheet about how to set up the Learning Agreement. Furthermore, we will send you an e-mail with all the important information in good time.

If the partner university requires to use its own template, you can also use that one and upload a signed version of it. You can find more information in the information sheet of the Learning Agreement.

Grant Agreement

By applying for an exchange within the framework of the Swiss-European Mobility Programme, you automatically apply for a grant funded by the Federal Government. In order to be awarded a grant, you are first required to sign a grant contract (“Verpflichtungserklärung/Declaration of Obligation”) and upload it in Mobility Online within the prescribed deadline. We will send you the document by e-mail and you can also find it in Mobility Online.

If you already receive a cantonal grant, you continue to be eligible for this support, even if you are awarded a mobility grant.

During your Exchange

Payment of the Grant

The grant is paid in two installments. The first installment (80% of the total amount) is paid at the beginning of the exchange, provided you have uploaded your signed “Verpflichtungserklärung” (Declaration of Obligation) and a valid Learning Agreement. You will receive the second installment (20%) at the end of your exchange abroad after uploading your experience report and the Certificate of Attendance.

Changes to the Learning Agreement

Any changes to the learning agreement must always be discussed with the responsible offices at the University of Zurich and at the partner university. The changes to the Learning Agreement have to be registered directly in Mobility Online. You can find more information to this in the information sheet about the Learning Agreement in Mobility Online.

Extension of the Exchange

To extend the period of your exchange within the current academic year, i.e. from the Fall Semester to the Spring Semester, both the partner university and the departmental coordinator at UZH must agree. You can apply for an extension in Mobility Online. The possibility of further funding will be reviewed at the time of the extension, but cannot be guaranteed.

It is not possible to extend the exchange stay from the Spring Semester to the Fall Semester. In this case you have to re-apply for an exchange place in the Fall Semester.  

Discontinuation / Non-commencement of the Exchange

If you wish to discontinue your exchange or not to commence it at all, you are required to inform the responsible office at the partner university, your departmental coordinator at UZH, and Global Student Experience via e-mail, stating the reasons for your decision. Excess grant payments must be repaid.

After the Exchange

Experience Report

At the end of your exchange, you are required to write an experience report in Mobility Online. We will send you an e-mail with further information in good time.

Certificate of Attendance

At the end of your exchange, you must obtain a Certificate of Attendance from the partner university clearly stating the dates of your study period abroad. A template for the certificate will be sent to you by e-mail and you can also download it in Mobility Online. However, you can as well use a form provided by the partner university.

Payment of the Second Grant Installment

The second installment of the grant (20%) will be paid once your experience report and the Certificate of Attendance are online and accepted by us. Students who do not submit the compulsory documents must repay the entire sum of the funding already paid to them.

Transcript of Records and Transfer of Credit

The partner university should send you your transcript of records directly. You are therefore required to give the partner university your home address. If the transcript of records is sent to us, we will inform you by e-mail so that you can collect it at our desk.

Responsibility for the transfer of credits earned abroad lies with the faculties. If you have any questions regarding the transfer of credits, please consult the applicable office and submit your transcript of records to them.

Weiterführende Informationen

Changing your Address

We will send you any important documents and information concerning your exchange by regular mail and by e-mail. Please remember to inform us of any change of address immediately.

Heyning-Roelli Scholarships

Scholarships are aimed at Bachelor’s and Master’s students who wish to study for one or two semesters at a partner university within the framework of an exchange program. Outgoing students in particular are encouraged to apply.

Register on the FDFA's Travel Admin App

The Travel Admin app provides ideal support in preparing a trip. The app also offers useful information and services for people travelling, not only in case of a crisis. But if the crisis does occur, the app can become a particularly valuable tool.