Navigation auf


Global Student Experience

In Europe


Swiss-European Mobility Programme SEMP (formerly Erasmus)

UZH currently has over 400 exchange agreements in 50 disciplines with some 200 partner universities throughout Europe. UZH students can study for one or two semesters at a European partner university within the framework of the Swiss-European Mobility Programme (SEMP), formerly Erasmus.

Background information on the SEMP-Program and why Switzerland no longer counts as a direct participant in Erasmus can be found here.

Choice of Partner University

In selecting a partner university, you are bound to the agreement applicable to your subject area and academic level. These are called subject-specific exchange agreements and are administered by your department of study.

Subject-specific opportunities

In addition to these, there are a number of exchange places open to students in all subject areas, so-called non-subject-specific ("Diverse") agreements. These are administered by Global Student Experience.

Non-subject-specific opportunities

The exchange normally takes place in your major subject. To find out whether you are eligible to apply for an exchange in your minor subject, please contact your departmental coordinator. At many partner universities, exchange students can take courses in various subject areas. We encourage you to clarify this well in advance with the partner university.

Search portal

The Right Timing for your Exchange

The right timing for an exchange depends on your field of study. Please discuss this with your departmental coordinator. 

To study abroad, you must be matriculated at UZH and be at least in your second year of study.

List of Departmental Coordinators

An exchange for study purposes within the framework of the Swiss-European Mobility Programme must last at least 2 months but no longer than 12 months.

Provided your studies permit, we recommend an exchange period of two semesters. You can find the exact dates of the semesters on the partner university’s own website.

It is possible to study abroad for up to 12 months at every academic level (BA, MA, PhD).


An exchange for study purposes is not the same as a stay abroad to learn a language. Please contact your departmental coordinator or the partner university directly for information on the language of instruction and the required language level.

Preparing for your exchange


Withing the framework of the Swiss-European Mobility Programme you have the opportunity to receive federal funding for your exchange stay. Students normally receive this grant to cover travel- and stay-related expenses. By applying for an exchange through UZH you automatically apply for this grant.

The calculation of the grants is based on the effective duration of the lectures (not taking into account introductory events and examinations which take place outside of the lecture period). 

Students in this program who choose an environmentally friendly mode of transportation are also eligible to apply for the Green Travel Top-Up.

Weiterführende Informationen


Outgoing Team

Experience Reports

Read the experience reports written by students returning from their studies abroad at one of our partner universities.

Experience Reports