Table of contents
Invited visiting students are students who are enrolled at a recognized foreign higher education institution (Bachelor/undergraduate, Master/graduate, PhD/postgraduate) that want pursue a project (research, traineeship, write a thesis etc.) at an institute at UZH and can provide a letter of invitation from a researcher employed by UZH. You can stay as an invited visiting student for at least 1 and at most 12 months.
Important to Note
If you are enrolled at a university participating in the Erasmus+ Programme and want to pursue a project as mentioned above, you should apply through the SEMP Programme. You can find further information here.
- You are enrolled at your home university as a regular student during the whole duration of your stay at UZH (e.g. no leave of absence).
- You have studied the subject you plan to take courses in at UZH for at least two semesters at your home university.
- An institute at UZH has agreed that one of their researchers will supervise you for a clearly defined duration in the framework of a certain project.
- For the duration of your stay, you are not employed by the UZH.
- A language level of B2 in the language of instruction as agreed upon with your supervisor is recommended.
As an invited visiting student, you will be enrolled at UZH. Taking regular courses is not usually intended or required, unless it is recommended by your supervisor and in connection with the project.
You cannot earn a UZH degree. There is no general right to be granted admission.
- You agree with the responsible person at an institute at UZH that you will come to that institute for a clearly defined duration and specify the content of your project during that time. You have a letter of invitation outlining these details from the institute.
- Fill in the application form: The link will follow soon.
- You will receive a confirmation email with your login name and password for our application portal: The link will follow soon.
There you can upload your application documents.
- Your application will be assessed by the International Relations Office.
- Scan of your passport
- Photograph: The photo will be used for your UZH student card. Make sure that the photo fulfills the following requirements: current photo in color (your head should be photographed in a frontal pose against a neutral background providing good contrast, and it should take up about 80% of the photo), aspect ratio 3:4, image size at least 400x533 pixel.
- Curriculum vitae/resume
- Transcript of Records (most recent version); if applicable also Bachelor or Master diploma
- Motivation letter
- Description of research project at UZH
- Proof of enrollment at home institution
- Invitation letter
The application has to be completed three months before the start of your planned stay at UZH.
For the duration of your stay as an invited guest student you are exempted from the semester fees at UZH.
Students with non-EU/EFTA nationality will need a valid visa when entering Switzerland. If this applies to you, upload the visa application form together with your application documents on Mobility Online. In case you are unsure if a visa is really necessary, you can ask the International Relations Office.
With the visa application form, we will apply for a visa on your behalf with the Migration Office Zurich, which may incur a fee.