Table of contents
Regular visiting students are students enrolled at a recognized foreign higher education institution (Bachelor/undergraduate, Master/graduate, PhD/postgraduate) that want to take courses for credit at UZH for one or at most two semesters.
Important to Note
The subjects of human medicine, dental medicine, and veterinary medicine are closed to regular visiting students.
- You are enrolled at your home university as a regular student during the whole duration of your stay at UZH (e.g. no leave of absence).
- You have studied the subject you plan to take courses in at UZH for at least two semesters at your home university.
- Your home university has no exchange agreement with UZH in your field of study. (see: Application Procedure)
- Your home university must recognise and credit your stay at the University of Zurich.
- You are required a full workload of 20 to 30 ECTS per semester at the University of Zurich.
- Visiting students must respect the official semester and examination dates.
- The departmental coordinator in charge of your subject at UZH approves you as a regular visiting student. (see: Application Procedure)
- A language level of at least B2 in the language of instruction (depends on your chosen courses) is recommended.
As a regular visiting student, you will be enrolled for one or at most two semesters at UZH and can book modules as well as earn ECTS credits. At the end of your stay you will receive a transcript of records but you cannot earn a UZH degree.There is no general right to be granted admission.
- Contact your home university to make sure there is no exchange agreement with UZH in your field of study. You can also check our Mobility Online Portal for this.
- Fill in the Learning Agreement and have it checked as well as signed by the departmental coordinator in charge of your subject at UZH. The signature counts as approval by the subject.
- Once you have the approval of the subject, you can get the confirmation of enrollment and recognition (PDF, 47 KB) from your home university.
- Fill in the application form: Application Form Mobility Online
- You will receive a confirmation email with your login name and password for our application portal: Mobility Online
- There you can upload your application documents.
- Your application will be assessed by the International Relations Office.
- Letter of Motivation (1-2 A4 pages)
- Scan of your passport
- Photograph: The photo will be used for your UZH student card. Make sure that the photo fulfills the following requirements: current photo in color (your head should be photographed in a frontal pose against a neutral background providing good contrast, and it should take up about 80% of the photo), aspect ratio 3:4, image size at least 400x533 pixel.
- Transcript of Records; if applicable also Bachelor or Master diploma
- Learning Agreement (PDF, 120 KB)
- Confirmation of enrollment and recognition at your home university (document (PDF, 47 KB))
At a later point you will have to proof that you paid the semester fees at your home university or at UZH.
Application for the fall semester: April 30
Application for the spring semester: October 30
If you pay the semester fees at your home university for the duration of your stay at UZH, then you are exempted from paying semester fees at UZH.
However, if this is not the case then you will have to pay semester fees at UZH (including the surcharge for foreign students): Fees
You will have to show proof of payment of the semester fees at your home university at the begin of your stay.
Students with non-EU/EFTA nationality will need a valid visa when entering Switzerland. In case you are unsure if a visa is really necessary you can ask the International Relations Office. Regular visiting students have to apply for a visa on their own.