In a Nutshell

As a UZH student, you have the opportunity to study for one or two semesters at one of UZH's European partner universities. The most important information is available here here.

The Right Timing for your Exchange

The right timing for an exchange depends on your field of study. Please discuss this with your departmental coordinator. 

To study abroad, you must be matriculated at the University of Zurich (UZH) and be at least in your second year of study.

List of Departmental Coordinators

Length of the Stay

An exchange for study purposes within the framework of the Swiss-European Mobility Programme must last at least 3 months but no longer than 12 months.

Provided your studies permit, we recommend an exchange period of two semesters. You can find the exact dates of the semesters on the partner university’s own website.

It is possible to study abroad for up to 12 months at every academic level (BA, MA, PhD).

Choice of Partner University

In selecting a partner university, you are bound to the agreement applicable to your subject area and academic level.

The exchange normally takes place in your major subject. To find out whether you are eligible to apply for an exchange in your minor subject, please contact your departmental coordinator. At many partner universities, exchange students can take courses in various subject areas. We encourage you to clarify this well in advance with the partner university.

List of UZH Partner Universities

“Diverse” Agreements

In addition to the subject-specific agreements within the framework of the Swiss-European Mobility Programme, there are a number of exchange places open to students in all subject areas (excluding students who have concluded an individual contract in their subject area with that particular partner university). Please see the "Merkblatt Diverse/Fact Sheet: Diverse Information" for further information on the universities and the application process.



An exchange for study purposes is not the same as a stay abroad to learn a language. Please contact your departmental coordinator or the partner university directly for information on the language of instruction and the required language level.

Preparing Language Skills


Within the framework of the Swiss-European Mobility Programme, you can receive assistance for your exchange with a grant funded by the Federal Government.

Financial Aid