Information about Life and Studying in Zurich

Entering Switzerland

Foreign students need a residence permit and students from non-EU/EFTA countries may also need a visa. Regular visiting students need to apply for a visa as well as a residence permit themselves. You can find further information here:

Entry and residence

ID and visa provisions according to nationality


Invited visiting students planning to do research during their stay at UZH will receive support with the visa application process. The person in charge at International Relations Office will contact you directly after your application has been approved.


The Housing Office of the University and ETH Zurich publishes an overview of useful addresses for reasonably-priced accommodation as well as for affordable living on short notice.

Housing Office of the University and ETH Zurich

Housing offers can also be found on the various notice boards in the University buildings. Another useful link for international students who are looking for accommodation in Zurich is the UZH/ETH online marketplace (Marktplatz). Please be aware of fraud.
Online Market Place (German only)