Living in Zurich

Culture and Entertainment

In Zurich you will discover a broad selection of cultural institutions and events. Students can buy tickets for various theater productions – including at the Opernhaus and Schauspielhaus Zürich – at reduced prices.

Züritipp (website in German only)

Website Zurich Tourism

Swiss museums


Students who love sports will be happy with the wide range of sports facilities and opportunities in Zurich. We highly recommend the courses offered at the Academic Sports Association Zurich (ASVZ) – which are generally free of charge for students.

Academic Sports Association Zurich (ASVZ)

City of Zurich Department of School and Sport


The city and canton of Zurich have an excellent public transportation network with tramways, buses, regional trains, and boats. Most public transport providers offer discount to students.

ZVV (Canton of Zurich Public Transportation)

The Lake Zurich Navigation Company

SBB (Swiss Federal Railway)

Half-fare Travelcards (Halbtax)

With the Half-fare travelcard you can travel half price on the entire Swiss public transport network, including all SBB railway routes, busses, boat and ferry crossings and even many private and mountain railways. Half-fare travelcards can be purchased at railway stations, you just need to bring a recent photograph and a valid identification document. If you’d like to buy a travelcard online, you’ll need an electronic picture, your ID or passport number and a credit card.

SBB half-fare travelcard

Seven25 Travel Card

If you’re under 25, then the Seven25 travel card might be a good addition to the half-fare travel card. It allows for unlimited travel only on trains from 7pm to 5am in 2nd class.

Seven25 travel card


Bicycles are an inexpensive alternative to public transportation. There are several "used bicycle markets" in Zurich:

Pro Velo Kanton Zürich(website in German only)

You can also borrow bicycles for free. Find out more here: Züri rollt

Working in Zurich

During the semester, you may accept a paid part-time job of no more than 15 working hours a week. Full-time employment is permitted during the regular semester vacations. However, in both cases, your employer will have to apply for your work permit at the cantonal office for economy and labor (AWA).

Please note: Bachelor students from third countries (countries outside EU/EFTA) must have lived in Switzerland for at least 6 months to obtain a work permit. The same is true for Master students from non-EU countries unless they get a job at their UZH institute.

Cantonal office for economy and labor (AWA)

Working while Studying - Study in Switzerland