International Relations

UZH International
Studying at UZH
Studying Abroad
Doctoral Students
Teaching Staff
North-South Cooperation
About us  


PhD candidates at the University of Zurich (UZH) can spend a part of their doctoral study abroad.

Joint-University PhD
Worldwide Agreements
Swiss Government Grants
Other Sources of Financial Aid

Joint-University PhD

The Cotutelle de Thèse allows PhD candidates to be registered simultaneously at two universities as PhD candidates and to receive supervision at both institutions. more


University of Zurich PhD candidates can profit from an Erasmus program.

Erasmus Staff Mobility (Teaching Assignments)

Through this program, members of the University teaching staff can take on teaching appointments lasting between one day – or at least five lessons – and six weeks at an Erasmus partner university. More details are available here (in German).

Erasmus Student Mobility

Erasmus student exchange programs enable students to study at a university abroad for a minimum of three and a maximum of twelve months. Erasmus Departmental Coordinators are the contact persons responsible for study-related aspects of the exchange for both incoming and outgoing students. More information on procedures can be found here (in German).

Worldwide Agreements

The University of Zurich has concluded university-wide agreements, faculty agreements and department agreements with a number of European and non-European Universities. These agreements allow UZH sudents to study up to two semesters abroad.

The following link leads you to an overview of the University of Zurich's partner universities.

Partner Universities

Please ask at the International Relations Office whether the partner university you have chosen also offers exchange agreements for PhD candidates at UZH.

Swiss Government Grants

Detailed information about Swiss Government Grants is available at the Rectors' Conference of the Swiss Universities (CRUS) in German.

Other Sources of Financial Aid

Information about other ways to finance your stay abroad is provided by the office Funding for Individuals and Projects