Refugees who are interested in studying at the University of Zurich and like to discuss their options can contact the International Relations Office. Katja Durkin and Benjamin Walliser are happy to provide you with further information.
Studies at the University of Zurich
Refugees who would like to complete a Bachelor, Master's or Doctor's degree at the University of Zurich must follow the regular admission requirements.
Discovery Semester for Refugees
The discovery semester enables refugees to attend lectures as auditors and experience student life at the University of Zurich. The aim is to give refugees the chance to gain an understanding of the course programs and requirements for studying in Switzerland. This allows them to prepare for a later application to the University of Zurich, should this be an option.
The next discovery semester will be held in the 2017 Fall Semester. Lectures will take place from 18 September to 23 December 2017.
The discovery semester offers
- up to 40 places for refugees who have already studied at a university and are interested in studying at the University of Zurich;
- lectures free of charge;
- support from an assigned student mentor;
- the opportunity to improve language skills in the Language Center’s Self-Access Center;
- interaction with other University of Zurich students at a range of refugee events.
Participants in the discovery semester
- do not receive the status of student nor a student ID
- cannot take examinations
- cannot earn a degree
- are not given privileged admission to a regular study program
- cannot attend courses at the Faculty of Medicine or the Vetsuisse Faculty
- must cover travel and study costs such as books and photocopies themselves
Requirements of participants
The project is organized by the Association of Students at the University of Zurich (VSUZH) in collaboration with the Amnesty Internatinal Student Group Zurich. The International Relations Office supports the project.
Application Discovery Semester
Applications for the fall semester 2017 can be submitted from 2 to 29 May 2017.
For selection purposes, potential candidates will be invited for interviews in June/July.
Here you find the different course of studies at the University of Zurich: http://www.degrees.uzh.ch