Refugees who are interested in studying at the University of Zurich and like to discuss their options can contact the International Relations Office. We are happy to provide you with further information.
Studies at the University of Zurich
Refugees who would like to complete a Bachelor, Master's or Doctor's degree at the University of Zurich must follow the regular admission requirements.
Discovery Semester for Refugees
The discovery semester is a joint project of the International Relations Office and the VSUZH. It enables refugees to attend lectures as auditors and experience student life at the University of Zurich. The aim is to give refugees the chance to gain an understanding of the course programs and requirements for studying in Switzerland. This allows them to prepare for a later application to the University of Zurich, should this be an option.
The next discovery semester will be held in the 2018 spring semester from 19 February to 2 June. The application period for the spring semester has expired.
The discovery semester offers
- up to 40 places for refugees who have already studied at a university and are interested in studying at the University of Zurich;
- lectures free of charge;
- support from an assigned student mentor;
- the opportunity to improve language skills in the Language Center’s Self-Access Center;
- interaction with other University of Zurich students at a range of refugee events.
Participants in the discovery semester
- do not receive the status of student nor a student ID
- cannot take examinations
- cannot earn a degree
- are not given privileged admission to a regular study program
- cannot attend courses at the Faculty of Medicine or the Vetsuisse Faculty
- must cover travel and study costs such as books and photocopies themselves
Requirements of participants